"Come, let us retrn to the Lord. For he has torn us, but He will heal us; He has wounded us, but He will bandage us... So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; and He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth" ~ Hosea 6: 1-3

Monday, October 17, 2011

"No Big Deal"

For a little over a month now I have been living in Rome experiencing the wonderful life it has to offer. Aside from the weekly meal of pizza on the Spanish Steps, weekly expeditions to places like the Roman Forum, Coliseum, Vatican City and 8 mile long catacombs, food that is, as of yet, incomparable, 99% sunny weather and unlimited access to the rest of Europe; it’s not really that big of a deal.

I don't want this to seem as if I am rubbing my amazing experience in anyone's face, but it would be an insult to the slender of this beautiful city and country to not share with excitement the marvels I have seen. I am overwhelmed with gratitude to my family and friends who have supported and encouraged me while planning and embarking on this adventure; but most of all I am speechless by the great acts of God that I have seen portrayed both in Him giving me the ability to come to Rome and also in the great artwork I have seen.

Just yesterday we returned from a weekend in Florence which brought with it a plethora of art, amazing views, late nights of wondering through the streets and listening to street performers playing Christmas music. I never cease to be astounded by the things I see and hear. The history we read about in our text books has in a sense come to life as we have seen it, touched it and felt its history under our fingers.

As I feel its texture and imagine the artists fingers touching that same place, I can almost feel the fingers of the past reaching through time and touch mine and breaking into my heart. No big deal right? I think not.  



No comments:

Post a Comment